Originally a Southern Pacific No. 23 Depot, this newly restored museum now houses Tehachapi history from a long time ago. The Freight Room in the Tehachapi Depot is home to an ever-changing display of railroad artifacts. Special exhibits are rotated so the Museum always has something new for returning visitors to see. Although the original depot, once a telegraph station, burned down in 1904, a group called the Heritage League wanted the depot as a railroad museum, but ultimately failed at gaining control of from the Southern Pacific Railroad. Years later, the Union Pacific Railroad buys out the Southern Pacific Railroad and visits the depot in 1997. In 2005, after years of negotiating, the Union Pacific Railroad agrees to lease the depot to Tehachapi and has become the Depot Railroad Museum ever since.